gTitle$> <$BlogRSDURL$>


savoirefaire's BLOG
{Thursday, June 03, 2004 . }

Hah, it's past the first half mark of this year. And what a year it has been so far.
Anyways, my joblessness turned out to be a blessing when I realised what shite temp jobs there are out there. I am sure people familiar with the term "Direct Sales" would agree. I experienced a typical day out as a Direct Salesperson, better know as Sales executive, Sales Assistant, Sales Relations etc, as part of this company's one day training. And boy, was it an eye-opener or what. The objective: to sell cheapo China made "educational toys" at S$29.90.
1. Alot of waiting ~ we had to wait to be transported, we had to wait for people we were working with, we had to wait for our fellow people to finish their breaks, we had to wait for particular timings best to strike the market out there.
2. Alot of sweating ~ carrying the stuff you're selling, walking about town in the hot sun trying to save bus fare the entire day.
3. Alot of talking ~ You have to explain and explain your product, persuade persuade the customers...a very dry throat at the end of it.
3. Alot of rejection ~ I am not even going to elaborate on this one.
4. Alot of misfortune ~ according to one of the experienced people, "The job is about turning the negative into positive"

Oh dear. I quit even before joining only to find a job selling restaurant coupons cum lucky draw tickets for a car. I quit that today by simply not selling any because over the past two days, I only sold four and spent wayy more than I earned. I was very annoyed to hear that most of the boys selling did loads better than all the girls. Hmmmm, an interesting phenomena there. I'll be retaining the random beauty survey job though, I mean $2 per successful survey, that's brilliant, if I get loads of women to fill them. Oh well.

Money money money, not so easy to come by.

"It's all about selling yourself" quipped my trainer for direct sales. I think I will probably have better luck in prostitution.

The verdict out of all the jobs I have scouted thus far for the holidays, regardless of whether I got them would be tutoring kids. After that, some research program dealing with my major or internships and lastly, maybe some administrative jobs with decent flexible hours. All this without taking the pay into consideration.

On another note, I Want You (She's so heavy)- Abbey Road, Beatles is a song that's just driving me mad at the moment. :)


savoirefaire blogged at 5:23 PM



***

Comments: Post a Comment



Search this site or the web

Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind


designed by: dreamwalker
game scripted by: Lancer
game script from: syahidah
time & calendar scripts from: DynamicDrive